Headstand, also known as Sirsasana, is considered the King of all asana poses. Whether you’re a beginner or looking to perfect your current headstand practice, read on to learn about the benefits of doing a yoga headstand, the steps on how to do a yoga headstand, as well as some safety and practice tips.
Benefits of Yoga Headstand
Be an invigorating part of your yoga practice, headstands bring you the benefits as follows:
- Develops your core strength.
- Reverses the blood flow which sends healthy blood to the brain.
- Strengthens the spine, neck, shoulders, and arms.
- Align the spine properly and improve posture.
- Cleanse the internal organs by reversing the pull of gravity placed on them.
- Improve balance and confidence
How to Do a Yoga Headstand?
This section will detail the steps of two headstand posture. The two poses names are bound headstand and tripod headstand.
Bound headstand is the basic version of headstand and it is also the safest variation for the neck.
- Interlace your hands and place them behind the head, cradling the round part of the skull.
- Bring the head and forearms down to the ground.
- Walk the feet into the body coming up onto the tippy toes and stacking hips over shoulders.
- Bend one knee into the chest and continue to stack the hips over the shoulders.
- Lift another foot off the ground and bring knees together.
- Slowly begin to straighten both legs to the sky.
- Continue squeezing the legs together and activate the toes by flexing.
- Keep this position as long as you are comfortable.
Tripod headstand is much easier than the bound headstand because it does not require much core strength to raise the legs over the head. However, in this position, the neck is more prone to injury.
- Plant both hands firmly into the ground with fingers spreading wide. Then place the head about 6 inches in front of the hands and onto the ground.
- Arms should be at a 90-degree angle so that a shelf is being created for the legs to rest on.
- Bring both knees into the chest and place them on the back of the arms by order.
- Stack hips over the shoulders.
- Bring one knee into the chest and place it on the back of the arm.
- Continue stacking hips over the shoulders, preparing to bring both knees to the chest.
- Bring both knees to the backs of the arms.
- Slowly begin to straighten both legs to the sky, squeezing them together.
How to Come out of a Headstand Safely
Releasing a headstand is as important as maintaining it. It’s important to use your strength and stability to come out slowly.
- Slowly bend your knees to bring your ankles closer to your hips.
- Slowly bend your knees to your chest.
- Hold this position for a few seconds.
- Lower your feet gently to the floor.
- Put your knees close to the floor and then rest in the child’s pose for a while.
Tips on Yoga Headstand
In addition to its many benefits, yoga headstand also poses certain risks. Here are some safety recommendations.
- Work with professionals
Working with professionals (qualified yoga teachers or fitness experts) can help you do a headstand more easily and safely.
- Use a wall
When you’re nervous or afraid, it’s nice to have the wall there for emotional support. Please keep in mind that don’t rely on it too much.
- Use a headstand bench
A headstand bench can help you do headstands without putting pressure on your neck, arms, and shoulders, which makes yoga headstand becoming an easy and safe thing.
- Place some blankets or cushions
Place a few folded blankets or cushions on the floor around you when you’re practicing on your own at home. It can keep you from injury.
- Headstand isn’t suitable for everyone
People who are under the following circumstances are not recommended to do a yoga headstand: pregnancy, menstruation, neck injury, back injury, shoulder injury, hypertension, glaucoma, or heart issues.
Please remember that handstand is not a beginner’s posture. Whether you can finish a headstand or not, this will not affect you to become a true yogi!
Bán Account Twitter cổ từ 2007 đến 2017 random follower dưới 100 giá 23k/accs.
Giá có thể thay đổi theo thời điểm.
Zalo : 0934670123